2.4-m Telescope Startup Checklist
Verify that the conditions are suitable:
- Wind < 40 mph
- Humidity < 85% (80% for 4K detectors and OSMOS)
- No dust or threatening weather (check for dust in the light path of a flashlight in the dome)
- No water or ice on the dome, telescope, or mirror covers
- Mirror temperature well above dew point
- Mirror support is working (see
2.4-m Observer's Guide for description)
Telescope & Instrument
- Open the MIS dark hatch.
- Leave the mirror covers closed until ready to collect data.
- Fill instrument dewar with nitrogen if required.
- Move storage dewar, steps, etc., away from the telescope, ensuring clear travel all around the telescope.
- Check that the moving platform is fully down and at home position.
Observing Computer (MDM 2.4m Observing Workstation 1)
On workspace 1 (this is likely to already be set up):
On workspace 2 (this is likely to already be set up):
- Start xmis2 and Rotator (if used) using the desktop Applications>Telescope Control pulldown menus.
- Start IRAF and ds9 if desired.
On workspace 4 (this is likelty to already be set up):
- Start JSkyCalc24mGS, open sub-window "Guide Stars"
- Open bridge (from terminal type mdmTools start bridge - might take two tries to get the bridge terminal to pop open)
Telescope Control System PC
- The following systems should be open and visible:
- DFM Control System
- Environmental Data/Control
- Maxim DL Pro6
- TheSky software package may also be open if desired, although it is often left closed to reduce processor load.
- All switches in the computer room (excepting mirror doors) should be UP.
Updated: 2018Sep20 (Galayda/MDM)