2.4-meter Telescope Shutdown Checklist
If lightning or severe storms threaten, please follow the Lightning Shutdown Procedure
after stowing the telescope.
- Stow the telescope at the zenith:
On the xtcs Object line, enter into the R.A. field
the current sidereal time plus 1 minute or so, enter Dec +31 57' 12",
and enter current value of the Epoch in decimal years.
- Click on Send Coords & Go
- When sidereal time = R.A., turn the TRACK off.
Telescope Control System
MIS (xmis2) and Guider PC (Slit Viewer PC if used)
- Are all the spectral lamps / flat field lamps turned off?
- Turn off the following monitors located in the observing room:
- Guider PC Monitor (the Guider PC itself should always be left on).
- Slit View monitor, if used (Slit View PC itself should always be left ob).
- Check that the mirror covers are fully closed.
- Close the MIS dark hatch.
- Check that the dome is at the home position. If the contactor box is
- Put the DOME CONTROLLER (bottom left rack in comupter room) to manual
by pressing the illuminated yellow AUTO button off (out position).
- Rotate the dome manually from the dome control panel.
- Close the drop-out shutter, then the main shutter.
- If they won't close or are intermittent, it is likely that the contactor box is not
- Close the "garage door" completely.
- Close all the dome louvers.
Computers and Instrumentation
- Fill instrument dewar with LN2 if required.
- Leave all computers and x-windows running.
- Back-up your data ?
- Re-check that you turned off the LN2 storage dewar after filling the instrument!
Primary Mirror Air Conditioning System
- Check temperature trends and match between mirror and ambient over last two nights.
- Change desired primary mirror set temperature if desired for next night.
Reports and Requests
- If you had problems fill out a
Trouble Report even if you fixed the problem.
- If you need any service to the instrumentation or filters
for the following night, write your request on the erase board
on the door to the dome as well
as in the
Nightly Observer's Report.
- Fill out the
Nightly Observer's Report even if you didn't observe.
- Turn off all the lights. This a) saves money and b) keeps down the
potential load on the generator, which may fail to start automtically
when too heavily loaded.
Updated: 2014Feb14 (Galayda/MDM)