2.4-meter Telescope Shutdown Checklist
If lightning or severe storms threaten, please follow the Lightning Shutdown Procedure
after stowing the telescope.
- Stow the telescope at the zenith
- Return the dome to home position
Telescope Control Systems
- Close mirror covers
- Shut off drives on the MDC
- Turn off the TCS Control System monitors.
- Are all spectral/comp lamps off (xmis2)?
- Turn off the mdm24ws1 monitors.
- Turn off the slit-viewing monitor (if used)
- Check that the mirror covers are fully closed.
- Close the MIS dark hatch.
- Check that the dome is at the home position. If the contactor box is
- Turn off Auto Dome on the MDC and use the telescope hand paddle to move dome azimuth to 320.
- Turn Auto Dome back on.
- Close the drop-out shutter, then the main shutter.
- If they won't close or are intermittent, it is likely that the contactor box is not
- Close the "garage door" completely.
- Close all the dome louvers.
Computers and Instrumentation
- Fill instrument dewar with LN2 if required. Make sure to stop fill when detector is full.
- Leave all computers and x-windows running.
- Back-up your data ?
- Re-check that you turned off the LN2 storage dewar after filling the instrument!
Primary Mirror Air Conditioning System
- Check temperature trends and match between mirror and ambient over last 24 hours.
- Change primary mirror set temperature if desired for next night.
Reports and Requests
- If you had problems fill out a
Trouble Report even if you fixed the problem.
- If you need any service to the instrumentation or filters
for the following night, write your request on the erase board
on the door to the dome as well
as in the
Nightly Observer's Report.
- Fill out the
Nightly Observer's Report even if you didn't observe.
- Turn off all the lights. This a) saves money and b) keeps down the
potential load on the generator, which may fail to start automtically
when too heavily loaded.
Updated: 2018Sep20 (Galayda/MDM)