18March Update: MDM Information Regarding Covid-19
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:46 PM
Under the auspice that dramatic action taken immediately may help limit the spread of covid-19 in an appreciable way, the decision has been made to cease science operations on Kitt Peak National Observatory, starting 20March and running for at least 2-weeks. Access to the mountain will be restricted to only essential staff. During this time, no visitors will be permitted to MDM. No scientific operations will be performed.
This is temporary. Operations will return to normal at some point in the future. Hopefully in the near future. In the meantime, we appreciate your understanding and patience as there is still much confusion surrounding many, if not most, aspects related to the spread of covid-19 and the steps being implemented in an attempt to slow it. In the meantime, if you have questions or concerns related to operations at MDM during this time and into our near future, do not hesitate to reach out to Observatory staff.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Consider alternatives to shaking hands.
- Unless you are sick with cough, sneezing and fever, it is not advised to wear a mask.
Please check back frequently as this may be updated or revised as necessary. Thanks for your understanding and cooperation as we all work through the most appropriate way to navigate through these decisions.